"Reason" reminds me alot of human society, on how we have to have a creator of everything and how that creator has to be supreme being and what that creator says is law. If your belief is different then someone elses belief in that creator then you are wrong. It's amazing how society wants you to have your own opinions and beliefs, but will control everything you think, own and otherwise by putting in ideas into advertising and the such.
"Super-Toys last all summer long" life from a childs eyes, though its not a child. Wanting to figure out what is real and what is not, sounds like everyday to all of us. What in our world is real and what is not, What you consider real may not be what I consider real. Making a robot to think, feel and react to situations like we do, is near impossible, they dont have the spontinallity that we do. We spontaneously do things or react to things, where unless it is programmed to a robot will not do such.
update: really didn't get much more then what I put here from the in class discussion
As far as your perspective on "Reason" I had never looked at it that way, I do think it's similar to society, especially how it controls our opinions in a way we think that we're forming them independently. It's amazing how Asimov was able to project a pretty accurate view of the way society is today in 1941. Maybe that's because it is inevitable that regardless of the year this is how our society will always be.
ReplyDeleteI agree completely with your post about "Reason". There are so many people who believe in a vast variety of things found all across the globe and it is constantly a battle to keep your faith without others trying to tell you you're wrong or lacking mutual respect.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts were very similar to yours about the story "Reason". I also made that connection to society today and how a lot of people push their beliefs on you, and if you don't feel the same way than you're wrong. Everyone has grown up differently and it's caused them to view life in a different perspective. And Super-Toys, I also agree it was a strange seeing a robot have actual feelings and think some of the same thoughts that humans do. In a sense I felt it was almost 'wrong' to give a robot emotions such as those. It reminds me of Pinocchio and wanting to be a "real boy".
ReplyDelete